[LUG.ro] GNOME wont start

Federico Wiecko lugro@lugro.org.ar
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:51:30 -0300

Hello,

I think you are confusing the X server with Gnome Desktop ... this message is
related X Server. I don't think this error has originated from a java
installation.
Many thinks could originate errors:

The xfs server is up ?  (the font server)
if not, try to do this on a command line
 (chkconfig xfs on ; service xfs start)
and then start the X server.

If the previus solution doesn't work you can try this:
is posible that you or a script have modified the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.
There exists a backup copy of that file in the same directory, so you can copy
the backup on the original (make a backup of the original first!) and try to
restart de X server again.

Maybe the fonts.dir and fonts.alias files are damaged, in this case you must
reinstall xfonts packages (I don't know exactly for RH what package is .. you
can try  rpm -qa|grep xfont or similar )

Good luck.
Federico.-

P.D: me acaba de llegar el mensaje de ella en español ..pucha :-|... pero no
voy a cambiar este despues de haberlo escrito , jaja :-P