[LUG.ro] motherboard linux

diego huck lugro@lugro.org.ar
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:14:10 -0300

sos un usuario que no tiene toda la vida para configurar un modem y
tenes que estudiar algo de este tipo, entonces saceas la conclusion de
que este modem no tiene bien resuelto el driver

Please, I need your help. I'm partly a noob but I'm nearly done
configuring my NetoDragon 56k voice modem driver installation and
configuration (I think). I just need a little guidance from you. I'll
explain to you the details below. I apologize if this is quite long.

SPECS:
- NetoDragon 56k Voice modem (Winmodem)
- COM Port in WinXP: COM3
- FC 2 kernel 2.6.5-1.358.i386
- path to linux kernel: /usr/src/linux-2.6.5-1.358

I am receiving an error #8 whenever I use that Internet configuration
wizard thingy. I already used KPPP and whenever I dial, the modem
initializes dialing, but when I listen to the dial tone of my phone it
doesn't dial at all. The modem doesn't produce a sound (like a dialing
sound or a connection successful beep).

I think I installed the driver correctly based on the README file
provided with the driver because I received no errors when I typed the
commands, make and make install. After issuing these commands, the
status of the installation is displayed on the terminal and I am sent
back to the shell (result of a successful installation). Here is the
installation instruction:

Quote:
Installation
============

1. Unpack tar.gz package file:

$ gzip -dc slmodem-2.9.X.tar.gz | tar xf -

2. 'cd' to package directory:

$ cd slmodem-2.9.X

3. Review and edit 'Makefile' (if need):

In many cases you will need to correct path to your local kernel
source tree:

KERNEL_DIR=/path/to/linux

Default KERNEL_DIR is '/lib/modules/<kerne-version>/build'. Many Linux
Distributions use directory '/usr/src/linux-<version>' also.

Note: If you are using Linux kernel 2.4, only header files should be
available for build in $(KERNEL_DIR)/include

Another way to pass right value KERNEL_DIR is to use command line
parameter while running 'make':

$ make KERNEL_DIR=/path/to/linux ...

4. Run 'make' command to compile package:

$ make

5. Install. As 'root' user run:

# make install

It will install:

- application 'slmodemd' under '/usr/sbin' directory

- hardware specific drivers (kernel modules) 'slamr' and 'slusb'
under conventional kernel modules directory

- character device nodes '/dev/slamr0-3' with major number 212
(for pci modems) and '/dev/slusb0-3' with major number 213
(for usb modems).

- config modules for autoloading (by editing file '/etc/modules.conf')
(only with 2.4 kernels)

6. Config modem country.

Use AT+GCI=<T.35 country code> command to setup country.

Also you can setup default modem country by passing command line
parameter '--country=MY_COUNTRY' to program 'slmodemd'.

See output of 'slmodemd --countrylist' for a list of supported
country names and T.35 country codes (see also 'slmodemd --help').

Note: Command ATI7 shows currently installed country setting.

I was able to do this also, but barely. Whenever I issue the modprobe
command, the bash shell displayed a command not found error. I issued a
"whereis modprobe" command, then used "/sbin/modprobe /dev/slamr0" (not
sure, I forgot). All I got was a module not found error. Continue below
to see more details:
Quote:
After successful installation and configuration:

1. Load modem driver.

Load your modem hardware specific kernel module:

# modprobe slamr

if you are using AMR/CNR/PCI modem, or

# modprobe slusb

if you are using SmartUSB56 Modem.

Note: this will be done automatically when modules were
configured for 'loading on demand'

Note: this is safe to load both 'alamr' and 'slusb' modules.

2. Run soft modem application.

# /usr/sbin/slmodemd [options] <device_name>

Where device name is appropriate device node for your modem
(look at output of 'dmesg' command).
Run '/usr/sbin/slmodemd --help' for details.

Examples:

# /usr/sbin/slmodemd --country=USA /dev/slamr0

, or for SmartUSB56 Modems:

# /usr/sbin/slmodemd --country=ITALY /dev/slusb0

3. Using the modem.

When 'slmodemd' is running this creates PTY (pseudo-terminal) to
emulate modem port device, also this creates symbolic link
like '/dev/ttySL0' (shown at startup).

Config your application to use this link '/dev/ttySL0' (or PTY node
itself) as modem port.

Note: Some application want 'to know' that they are working with
pseudo-terminal and may require additional configurations.

Known application notes:

- 'wvdial' requires option 'Carrier Check = no' in config file

- some versions of 'kppp' may not work properly with devices named
like '/dev/ttySL0'. To workaround this you may create symbolic link
'/dev/modem' ( # ln -s /dev/ttySL0 /dev/modem ) and use this link
as modem device with 'kppp'

However, I was successful in issuing the commands: /usr/sbin/slmodemd
--help, or /usr/sbin/slmodemd --countrylist, or /usr/sbin/slmodemd
--country=PHILIPPINES /dev/ttyS0. I was also able to issue the command:
ln -s /dev/ttySL0 /dev/modem to provide a sym link, but was useless when
I implemented it with KPPP.

SO FAR

I tried my near success with KPPP. I was able to use /dev/ttyS0 or
/dev/ttySL0. When I queried my modem, here is the result:

1GB gratis, Antivirus y Antispam
http://correo.yahoo.com.ar